Fly fishing, wingshooting, dogs and adventure travel are at the core of Orvis products, services, and culture. As an industry leading OMNI channel brand, these four product categories are a critical part of the Orvis strategy. In pursuit of future growth, Orvis has made significant investments in developing relationships with customers, pro guides, outfitters, dealers, media, and non-profit organizations.
The Denver Marketing Community Leader will work to accelerate growth within the greater Colorado market by identifying strategies and opportunities to make Orvis the leading brand among fly anglers, wing-shooters, dog owners, adventure travelers and outdoor enthusiasts. The Denver Marketing Community Leader will connect in-person with the greater Colorado outdoor community, further develop and manage key relationships within those communities and coordinate specific marketing initiatives. The Denver Marketing Community Leader will be asked to develop an annual community marketing plan, set annual goals, and execute the plan.
The successful candidate will be tightly integrated, with an existing network of relationships and a deep understanding of the greater Colorado fly-fishing and outdoor community. Colorado residency is required; greater Denver area residency is preferred. The salary range for this position is $45k-$50k.
Who you will be working with:
This position reports directly to the Orvis Community Leader and works closely with the Retail Marketing Programs Manager, Product Category Marketing Manager, Vice President Omni Channel Marketing and Vice President Fly Fishing, Wingshooting, Dog, Adventures and Wholesale. In addition, this position will work closely with internal Orvis partners in Retail, Marketing, Orvis Adventures, Social Media, and Product Development. External partners will include pro guides, outfitters, dealers, media personalities, industry thought leaders and non-profits.
- Drive the brand presence in the local region through community marketing (sponsorship, social, events, PR)
- Develop strategic direction and annual plans for the Community Marketing program, collaborating with corporate marketing, local Orvis stores, dealers, endorsed partners and conservation/brand partners.
- Be the ‘brand activator’ within the local community, inspiring participation in Orvis outdoor activities and increasing brand understanding throughout the market
- Network with sports associations, clubs, local businesses/associations, athletes, guides, B2B retail partners in the region
- Grow Orvis business and loyalty within the local regionHow we will measure success
- Orvis Community Growth: Engagement of the customer, professional guide, thought leaders, influencer, and ambassador community
- Omni-channel Category Growth: Category sales volume growth
- Customer file growth
- Things you will be working on
- Develop an annual community marketing plan, set annual goals, and execute the plan
- Develop planning and grassroots relations with communities, organizations, and media in the Colorado market
- Local public relations and media relations
- Event planning, execution, and coordination (trade shows, consumer shows and one-off partner events)
- Recruit, support and enable local thought leaders
- Act as the facilitator between local activities and our corporate office
- Manage communication with product testers and product development teams
- Monitor local performance and impact
- Travel to consumer shows, trade shows, Orvis events and partner events (20%)
- Skills we are looking for
- Never ending curiosity, love of learning, and teaching
- Self-starter, entrepreneurial drive
- Ability to coordinate efforts of a cross-functional team toward a vision through effective collaboration
- Ability to communicate complex and/or controversial topics and concepts to a wide and diverse audience
- Strong verbal and written communication skills, including meeting facilitation and presentations
- Ability to develop strong working relationships
- Alignment with the Orvis Core Values
- Qualifications we are looking for
- Bachelor’s degree in Marketing or a business-related field
- 2+ years of experience in brand marketing, using consumer insights to direct strategies
- Professional experience with fishing and/ or outdoor brands is highly preferred
- Demonstrated knowledge of, and passion for, fly fishing with knowledge of the local markets in fly fishing is required; experience in wingshooting a plus
- Prior experience in working with media editors, freelancers, bloggers and ambassadors.
- Event planning and coordination experience
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability and willingness to travel throughout trade area and to adjacent locations important to the fly-fishing and wingshooting communities.