Here’s a very rare, cool job opportunity:
Travel Sales Specialist for The Fly Shop
The Fly Shop is located in Redding, California, and is currently seeking applicants for a Fly Fishing Travel Sales Specialist. Primary focus of the position will be sales of international fly fishing trips and service of our travel clientele. The travel division here at The Fly Shop is dedicated to providing our clientele with unique international angling trips. Our team of travel specialists are committed to providing the highest quality customer care in every phase of trip selection, planning, execution, and follow-up. Our company’s travel sales are part of what is often a lifetime relationship between customers and The Fly Shop and often an extension of their experience with our retail, guide service and private waters personnel.
Our Travel Sales Specialists are responsible for direct sales of fly-fishing trips to individuals and groups, primarily by telephone and email. The ideal candidate should possess an in-depth knowledge of some aspect of international fly-fishing travel based on personal experience, as well as a passion for helping customers plan the trip of a lifetime. This individual should have professional sales experience related to sporting travel (preferably with a tour operator), a retail shop with a significant travel business, or a sporting lodge. The position is a combination of front-line sales, customer service, database management and tour operations.
The individual must have excellent verbal and written communication skills and the ability to multi-task and
manage dozens of emails from both guests and lodges. Attention to detail at every level is an absolute must.
The Fly Shop’s Travel Sales Associates take pride in our portfolio of exclusive angling destinations and our agency relationships with some of the world’s finest fly fishing lodges and outfitters. We have a well- established, stellar reputation for service and for treating customers, vendor partners, and each other with integrity and mutual respect, and enjoy a significant share of the angling travel market. We work in a supportive, team-oriented environment that is not dependent on commission and focuses on performance, continuous improvement, and exceeding our customers’ expectations.
This position is located in Redding, California, and the travel division works under the aegis of The Fly Shop, a California corporation that has been in business for more than 40 years.
Performance will be evaluated based on established Goals, Strategies, Objectives and Tactics (GSOTs) as well as sales growth and customer service criterion.
General Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
· Direct customer sales to groups and individual travelers.
· Management of existing customer relationships as well as identifying new sales channels and developing new customer relationships.
· Providing extraordinary customer service as a representative of The Fly Shop throughout all stages of the trip planning process, from the initial inquiry to the booking phase, trip planning, trip departure and customer return follow-up.
· Maintain and update customer information and reservation details across multiple platforms including a customer relationship/reservation management database.
· Effectively communicate trip details with lodges, vendors and other partners before, during and after the trip to ensure the success of each trip.
· Ensure accuracy of trip information and updates on theflyshop.com and submit updates to the Web team in a timely manner.
· Maintain and update itineraries, reservation letters and trip planning materials, as well as website, social media, and on-line marketing materials.
· Lead group trips to domestic and international destinations, or undertake familiarity trips to new destinations.
Education and Experience:
· A strong passion for the sport of fly fishing
· A college education is preferred, but practical experience in a professional travel environment (with a tour operator or similar travel-oriented business either in a sales, operations, or guest services capacity) is a suitable substitute.
· Knowledge of fly-fishing destinations popular with The Fly Shop’s customers, such as Patagonia, Alaska, Canada, Kamchatka, Central America, Amazonia, Mongolia, the Indian Ocean, Bahamas,
South Pacific, and the Caribbean.
· Experience working in a sporting lodge or other outdoor adventure-oriented facility, with established
responsibility for organizing guides and guest activities.
· Exceptional email and phone etiquette, with strong writing and typing skills to communicate clearly
through written correspondence.
· Proficiency in MS Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint) Google Drive (Gmail, Sheets, Docs)
· A high level of attention to detail.
· Ability to multitask while meeting deadlines.
The Fly Shop offers competitive salaried compensation within the scope of responsibilities and experience
required; plus a comprehensive benefits package including medical insurance, 401K with a company match,
paid vacation, and generous retail and industry discounts, and other excellent benefits.
About The Fly Shop – www.theflyshop.com
Interested applicants should contact: Pat Pendergast at [email protected] or Terry Jepsen at
how old do you have to be