Based on Orvis’s strong product line and sales increase in all categories (from fly rods to reels to waders and wading shoes), and an emerging emphasis on technical outdoor clothing, the company has taken steps to increase its support of independent fly shops. According to Steve Hemkens, Orvis VP of Fly Fishing, Wingshooting, and Adventures, “The most important channel for Orvis fly-fishing products is independent fly shops. We’ve gotten stretched to the point where we need to expand our sales force so that our retail partners get the best service possible. The addition of several experienced outdoor industry sales representatives will make our sales force more personal and more powerful.”
Effective March 1, 2019, Orvis will be making the following changes:
• Darin Elmore of Dead Drift Sports Sales will represent Orvis in Arizona, California, Hawaii and Nevada.
• The Green Drake Outdoors team of Greg Pearson, Dustin Carlson and Doug Garvey will represent Orvis in Colorado, New Mexico and Utah.
• Banning Collins and Cole Purswell of Class V will represent Orvis in Arkansas, Louisiana, Oklahoma and Texas.
• Orvis 30-year veteran Mike Clough will focus on Iowa, Illinois, Indiana, Kansas, Minnesota, Michigan, Missouri, Nebraska, South Dakota, Wisconsin, and Wyoming.
• All other Orvis sales territories will remain with their current regional business managers.
Concurrent with these changes, Hutch Hutchinson will be joining the Orvis Travel team in the capacity of Sporting Travel Planner working remotely from his home in Colorado. Over the course of Hutch’s 35-year career in the industry, he has developed deep experience as a guide, casting instructor, resort manager, salesman, and passionate global angler. Orvis Travel is thrilled to welcome Hutch to the team, and to have someone with his longstanding commitment to customer service and fly-fishing education help continue to support Orvis Travel customers. After 18 years as a road warrior, Hutch is excited to for the opportunity to be home more with his son Ryder and wife Paige.
According to Scott McEnaney, Senior Manager of Orvis Adventures “We’re excited to add Hutch Hutchinson to our growing staff in Orvis Adventures. Our travel business has experienced rapid growth, and to have a seasoned professional like Hutch, with his network and unlimited enthusiasm will go a long way to make sure we give our travel customers the best possible experience.”
For further information, contact Steve Hemkens at [email protected]