From Angler’s Covey:
For more than 30 years Angler’s Covey has delivered quality services, products and expertise that enhance the experience of the fly fishing angler. Our goals are to provide the best value possible to our customers and to promote and grow fly fishing in our community. We want to invite people into the adventure of fly fishing and serve them in their journey. This philosophy has helped us grow to one of the largest fly shops in the world.
This growth has created a need for a General Manager to manage a positive, rewarding guest experience that extends beyond the visit to the store or our website.
Please read the qualifications for this position carefully. The successful applicant will have to get up to speed quickly and therefore, we will only consider those who meet all the criteria listed below.
General Manager Job Purpose: Contribute to the company’s profits by leading the team. The ideal candidate is a passionate angler, creative, guest-focused, product merchant, team leader with strong operational and analytical skills.
General Manager Job Duties:
• Has direct oversight responsibility for the sales floor, web store, purchasing, merchandising, inventory control, shipping and receiving.
• Manages staff effectiveness by recruiting, hiring, orienting, training, coaching, evaluating, recognizing, rewarding, and disciplining managers and associates.
• Meets or exceeds the shop’s objectives by establishing plans, budgets, and measurements; allocating resources; reviewing progress; making mid-course corrections; evaluating sales trends along with achieving KPI’s for sales, margins, customer service, conversion rate, profit and loss, productivity, and efficiency.
• Creates and sustains a culture of exceptional customer service among managers and associates while fostering an authentic environment for all outdoor enthusiasts.
• Performs Manager on Duty (MOD) responsibilities for the entire store, including management of opening and closing procedures, monetary assets, the customer experience, associate activities, and other duties as required. Ensures the efficient daily operations of the store.
• Manages staffing schedules for the managers and associates to ensure budget compliance and strategic balance to maximize the customer experience.
• Manages Ecommerce team by developing strategic goals, prioritization and management of website projects and campaigns in support of these goals, and defining KPIs for online engagement including SEM, SEO, Site Optimization, Email, Content Marketing, and Social Media. Supervises web store merchandising, site operations, product delivery, customer satisfaction, and inventory management.
• Manages Merchandising manager team. Responsible for planning, purchasing, directing, controlling, and evaluating all or most inventory planning and control activities. Supervises OTB budgets, store promotions, markdowns, and inventory audits.
• Manages all policies and procedures related to safety, loss prevention and standard operating procedures, as well as adherence to laws and guidelines. Responsible for all compliance aspects of store operations.
• Contributes to developing strategic plan by studying technological and financial opportunities and presenting recommendations.
• Initiates and manages promotional sales and events for the store.
• Works cooperatively with other managers to further the goals and objectives of the store.
• Builds company image by collaborating with customers, government, community organizations, and employees as well as enforcing ethical business practices.
• Maintains professional and technical knowledge by participating in the sport regularly. Must feed a fly fishing passion that is contagious to customers, managers, and associates.
• Advances personal management skills by attending educational workshops, reviewing professional publications, establishing personal networks, benchmarking state-of-the-art practices and participating in professional societies.
• MUST have passion and knowledge for fly fishing
• Ability to lead, coach, and motivate
• Excellent customer service skills
• Strong problem solving skills
• Strong analytical skills
• Excellent interpersonal skills
• Tenacious work ethic
• Ability to be self-motivated in a small company environment/ takes initiative
• Outgoing, must be a “people person”
• Excellent time management skills
• Eenergetic, motivated, and able to multi-task
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills
• Merchandising skills
• Sense of humor
Experience and Education Required:
• Bachelor’s degree (B.A. /B.S.) from four-year College or university and two to three years related experience/training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
• Minimum of 6 years retail management experience
• Minimum of 2 years retail experience in the Outdoor Industry field
• Familiarity with SEM, SEO, Website Optimization, Email Marketing, Content Marketing, Social Media
• Proficiency with Microsoft Office (Excel, Word)
• Proficiency with retail POS systems
• Evidence of total addiction to fly fishing
Position Type: Full Time – Salary with Bonus plan
Must Relocate to Colorado Springs, Colorado
Minimal Travel Requirements.
Send resume and all correspondence to: