The American Fly Fishing Trade Association (AFFTA) is pleased to announce that it is now accepting submissions for open Board of Director positions. AFFTA seeks to maintain a strong, balanced, strategic-thinking Board that accurately represents the varied businesses in the fly fishing industry. As a member-driven organization, AFFTA solicits candidates each year to fill open seats on the Board of Directors to represent the interests of the fly fishing industry and all AFFTA members. Submissions will be accepted through Friday July 9, 2010.
Do you want to be a leader in the fly fishing industry and help make decisions that will shape the future of fly fishing for years to come? Are you passionate about the fly fishing industry, conservation and the recruitment of new fly fishing participants? If you answered yes to any of these questions, we encourage you to submit your bio today and help lead our industry into the future!
Board Member Requirements
The requirements to serve as an AFFTA Board Member are as follows:
• Be an AFFTA member in good standing
• Participation in at least one sub-committee
• Attend three board meeting per year (September in Denver – IFTD Show, January in Denver – ISE Show, April in Washington DC – Jim Range Casting Call)
• Travel, lodging, phone and most food expenses associated with AFFTA events/meetings; expenses are not covered by AFFTA and are the responsibility of the Member
• Support AFFTA’s mission of promoting the sustained growth of the fly fishing industry
• Help develop and guide the association’s actions with respect to organizational priorities and strategic planning by staying informed about AFFTA matters, preparing in advance for meetings, reviewing and commenting on documents and reporting on issues of concern to the association in a professional and timely manner
• Three year Board term
To be considered for a Board position, your bio must be emailed to the AFFTA Corporate Office no later than July 9, 2010. The email address is [email protected]
Your one page bio should include the following information:
• Complete contact information
• Personal background information to support your bid for an AFFTA Board position
• A summary of why you are interested in serving the fly fishing trade
All Board Member nominees’ bios and a voting ballot will be emailed to the AFFTA membership by July 13, 2010. Ballots must be emailed back to the AFFTA Corporate Office on or before August 6, 2010. Votes will be tallied on August 9, 2010. The top vote recipients will be contacted that day to inform them that they have become the newest AFFTA Board Members. A broadcast email will be sent to all AFFTA members on August 10, 2010 to announce the results.
New Board Members take office at the Board of Directors meeting held at the 2010 International Fly Tackle Dealer Show in Denver, CO on September 8, 2010.
AFFTA Election Timetable
June 9, 2010 – Nominations Process Begins
July 9, 2010 – Bio Deadline
July 13, 2010 – Bios and Ballots Emailed to Membership
August 6, 2010 – Return Ballot Deadline
August 9, 2010 – Votes Tallied and New AFFTA Board Members Notified
August 10, 2010 – New Board Member Announcement to Membership & Public
September 8, 2010 – AFFTA Board Meeting at IFTD, Denver
The AFFTA Board of Directors consists of fifteen elected members and one ex-officio Member. The desired make-up of the Board consists of no fewer than two Members representing each category of the industry; manufacturers, retailers, industry representatives, media, and travel/guides. To maintain this diversity, elections will first focus on the appointment of Members to support the two member category representation. If candidate resources do not support this effort, Board positions will then be filled with Members who receive the highest number of votes.
Based on a large number of term expirations, there are currently eight Board of Director seats to be filled with this election. To maintain the diversity of the Board as outlined in the AFFTA bylaws, the association is strongly searching out at least 1 retailer, 1 representative and 1 travel/guide professional to maintain the two member category representation.
If you have any question, please do not hesitate to contact Randi Swisher, AFFTA President, at 303.690.6504 or [email protected]