At Orvis, our copywriters are the voice of the brand and speak directly to our customer about our products and services. We have a unique opportunity for a gifted writer who is an accomplished angler with an in-depth knowledge of—and multiple-fishery experience in—the sport of fly fishing. This is a contracted position to specifically focus on fishing product copy. Given the reputation of the Orvis brand, it is imperative that the writer craft credible, knowledgeable, brand-right, and product-centered messaging that not only maintains, but elevates a brand reputation built on 160 years of history and tradition.
This is a part-time, contracted role that would not be eligible for associate benefits. The position does not need to be based in the Sunderland office; however, we will ask that you coordinate a schedule for Home Office time based on overall business needs. As part of this position, you will need to be available during the workday from your home office, via instant messenger, email, and phone.
Who you will be working with:
The position reports to the Copy Manager. The position requires regular communication with the copy team, as well as other internal business partners. Key partners are Outdoor Catalog Team, Project Manager, Outdoor Merchandising Team, Outdoor Product Developers and Designers, Retail and Collateral Design Team, and Ecommerce Design Team.
What you will be working on:
- Writing product copy and supporting editorial for the fishing consumer and wholesale catalogs
- Creating a consistent product message across all channels of communication including catalog, web, retail collateral, and national ads
- Maintaining the Copy Library for all fishing and fishing-related product
- Working closely with design and production to meet all deadlines
- Maintain an ongoing dialogue with the Outdoor Merchants in order to ensure all product and brand messaging is fact based and up to date in an ever-changing product development environment
Qualifications we are looking for:
- A master fly fisher with an in-depth knowledge and experience across multiple fisheries
- The ability to immediately discern product benefit and application based on that expertise
- A strong understanding of the fly-fishing consumer and what drives their passion
- The ability to translate that understanding into headlines and product copy that instantly resonate with the angler with precise, economic, and targeted writing
- Proven portfolio of writing credible sales copy in a consumer-direct outdoor lifestyle brand
- The ability to write strong editorial in support of the fly-fishing effort that enhances the Orvis brand and maintains the integrity and credibility of its reputation
- An absolute “team” mentality that puts the success of the team above individual success
- High level of creativity, responsibility, and energy
- Balanced measure of urgency and poise under tight and overlapping deadlines
- Organized with strict adherence to schedules & due dates
- Solid personal computer skills (Mac / InDesign / Adobe Creative Suite / MS Word, Excel, etc.)
- Bachelor’s degree in Creative Writing, English, Journalism, Advertising or similar field.
In 1856, Charles F. Orvis founded the Orvis Company in Manchester, Vermont, offering superior fly-fishing equipment, and priding himself on customer satisfaction and service. Today, Orvis is the trusted source for the discovery of adventure and the wonder in the natural world. For more than a century and a half we have loved the wild, explored it, and protected it. At our core, we are a fly-fishing and wingshooting brand, inspired by nature, driven by curiosity, and fulfilled by adventure. We are the world leader in fly fishing, but our passion for nature and the outdoors fully extend to our offerings in a wide assortment of men’s and women’s sportswear, fine gifts and home furnishings, luggage, and travel accessories. We are an industry leader in dog beds and innovative dog products. Our culture of “We Love Dogs” inspires us to be a central source of education and information for all dog lovers. We offer fine shotguns, gear, and technical apparel for wingshooting and sporting clays, and Orvis sporting services also include fishing and shooting schools, an international sporting and eco-travel agency, the Orvis-endorsed network of lodges, outfitters, and guides, and Orvis-endorsed hunting dog trainers and breeders. Each product and the services we offer is rooted in our heritage, inspired by our love of the wild, and backed by superior customer service and a 100% guarantee of satisfaction.
Privately owned by the Perkins family since 1965, Orvis is headquartered in beautiful Southwestern Vermont with major operations in Roanoke, Virginia and the United Kingdom. Today Orvis is an international, multi-channel retailer with approximately 1,700 employees. Our award-winning website, orvis.com, offers more than 5,000 products with 32 million visits/year. The company mails more than 44 catalog editions each year with a total annual circulation in excess of 45 million. As of 2017, Orvis has 70 retail stores and 10 outlets in the US, and 18 retail stores in the UK. Our wholesale division services more than 500 independent dealers worldwide. The Orvis blog (orvis.com/news) offers a wide variety of editorial and educational content to more than 2.5 million visitors per year, with extensive articles and videos about fly fishing, wingshooting, dogs, conservation, and more. Our Learning Center (howtoflyfish.orvis.com) provides the most comprehensive collection of online videos and resources devoted to teaching the world how to fly fish.
To learn more and connect with Orvis, please visit us online www.orvis.com.