The Outdoor Writers Association of America, the nation’s oldest and largest association of professional outdoors-focused communicators, is hiring a new executive director.
This 700-plus-member association formed in 1927 and counts many of nation’s foremost outdoor writers, photographers, artists and broadcasters among its individual members. OWAA also includes more than 150 business, agency and nonprofit supporting groups.
OWAA President Paul Queneau has formed a search committee that includes OWAA members and former officers. Past OWAA President Phil Bloom has served as Interim Executive Director since Feb. 1, when former Executive Director Brandon Shuler left the position.
The association’s full board is charged with making the final selection. OWAA is based in Missoula, Montana, but Bloom and past OWAA EDs have worked remotely, and relocation to Montana will not be required of the new director.
The position is full-time and includes a competitive salary and benefits package.
Job responsibilities and requirements include:
• Familiarity with the outdoors, including hunting, fishing, camping, boating, hiking, skiing and all pursuits that take members and their audiences afield to enjoy the natural world.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
• Ability to manage OWAA’s budget.
• Experience managing a staff.
• Sales and marketing experience, particularly in the realm of member recruitment and retention.
• Knowledge of fundraising and endowment management.
• Willingness to travel approximately four weeks per year.
The application deadline for the position is May 3, 2019. Interested candidates should email a cover letter and resume to [email protected].