From Morris Sporting Group:
Editor—American Angler magazine (Morris Sporting Group)
Send letter of introduction and resume to Steve Walburn at [email protected]
American Angler magazine is seeking a seasoned editor to lead each bi-monthly issue from inception to imposition, design, and printing. The editor will also play an integral role in the development of our websites and tablet publications. We are looking for a content dynamo who understands American Angler’s service-journalism mission and can keep it lively with world-class fly fishing photography, writerly back-page essays, engaging covers, timely conservation reporting, and an innovative variety of columns and departments.
• Bachelor’s degree in English, journalism, or communications preferred.
• Three to five years experience in magazine publishing, or similar.
• Experience assigning and editing magazine-length feature stories and departments.
• Experience managing writers, photographers, and illustrators.
• Conceptual thinker who can visualize an issue from first page to last.
• Outstanding content and line editor capable of turning ordinary copy into engaging feature stories.
• Strong eye for photo editing as well as demonstrated photography skills.
• Knowledge of fly fishing for multiple species, fresh and salt water.
• Experience working in InDesign and Photoshop.
• Assign, edit, and produce six 76-page issues per year.
• Manage editorial and photography budget.
• Write the magazine’s annual gear feature.
• Contribute editor’s column and occasional features.
• Work with the art director to guide layout and design of each issue.
• Develop excellent cover content and copy.
• Occasional travel for fly fishing trade shows and story assignments.
• Contribute to American Angler website and tablet editions.
• Offer creative input on direct mail and marketing materials.
• Work with publisher as necessary on other Morris Sporting Group titles.
Salary commensurate with experience.
Medical, dental, life insurance.
American Angler (est. 1991) is a nationally distributed, general-interest fly fishing magazine within the Morris Sporting Group, which also includes Fly Tyer magazine and Gray’s Sporting Journal. American Angler is the sport’s “how-to” authority, focusing on practical angling strategies for all species of fresh- and saltwater game fish, destination travel, new fly fishing products, and natural resource issues relating to fly fishermen. The Morris Sporting group is headquartered in Augusta, Georgia, and collectively reaches nearly 100,000 paid and verified readers.