A position is available in the Rod & Tackle division in the corporate Orvis office in Sunderland Vermont.
The Rod and Tackle Product Development Specialist will be responsible for the development, growth, and profit of the key Orvis fly fishing sub categories of fly lines, leaders and tippet, optics and luggage for retail, catalog, web, and wholesale at Orvis. Additionally this individual will be fully engaged in the product development process for fly rods and fly reels. This individual will have an excellent background, knowledge and experience of the outdoor market with solid experience in freshwater and saltwater fly fishing.
This position reports directly to the Divisional Merchandising Manager of Rod and Tackle with a strong relationship with the VP of Rod and Tackle and the VP of Manufacturing. The position will include ongoing interaction with the Fishing Product Development Specialists and Inventory Control Buyers, advertising/ catalog production personnel, quality assurance managers, retail merchandise manager, and the tech specialists in Roanoke.
Key Performance Measurements:
Gross profit across mail order, web, dealer, and the retail business for above categories
Quality as measured by returns, as well as feedback from customers, sales personnel in retail and wholesale, and the endorsed guide network
Cost of goods and sourcing for fly lines, leaders and tippet, optics and luggage
- Ownership of the development of fly lines, leaders and tippet, optics and luggage for a planned increase in sales and gross margin.
- Interface with the VP of Manufacturing and development staff at the rod shop to meet product introduction timelines for fly rods
- Interface with the Divisional Merchandise Manager to meet product introduction timelines for fly reels
- Ensure quality at all phases in the process and product life
- Coordinate testing of all products in way that is consistent with our brand standards
- Analysis of the business utilizing our in house systems to monitor sales, gross profit, and establish a vision for where the business has the most potential for growth.
- Vendor negotiations for costing and implementation of best sources to assure product delivery and quality.
- Timely processing of product information for appropriate forecast / purchase processing, delivery of photography and rep samples, and effective management of merchandising calendar
- Strong teamwork and organizational skills
- A strong preference for experience in product development and sourcing in outdoor hardgoods, or 3-5 years experience in fly fishing retail
- Excellent judgment, decision making ability, and analytical skills
- Solid Fly Fishing knowledge in both fresh and saltwater.
- Must possess excellent communication skills
- Must be familiar with the Orvis lifestyle
- Computer skills including Excel and Word
- Flexible travel required in this position for shows and sourcing
- College degree preferred